“Above all, what strikes me about Jeff and his advocacy is that he is a bulldog. Simply put: he will not quit. That is why he has succeeded in life, and that is why he has succeeded in his advocacy. He is an example to us all of what we can do if we work hard, and keep working hard.”
ADAP - Executive Director
“I first met Jeff around 10 years ago as I became involved as an advisor to a new chapter of a People First and also as the parent of a young self advocate. Jeff’s never wavering selfless pursuit for justice and equality for all Alabama citizens has been an example for all of us with the same values. His leadership for the Alabama Respectful Language Law in particular is a lasting tribute.”
State Coordinator - People First of Alabama
“Jeff is passionate about self advocacy and human and civil rights for people with disabilities. He is truly like the “Kudzu” plant we so love, persistent, ever growing and challenging all that it is in its way to cover the landscape with his message. This tenaciousness is the spirit of self advocacy.”
Ability Alliance - Executive Director
Jeff Ridgeway Advocacy Award
The Jeff Ridgeway Advocacy Award Qualifications
The Jeff Ridgeway Advocacy Award shall be presented not more than annually in accordance with the following qualifications and considerations:
1. The Award shall be open to all persons with disabilities.
2. The recipient shall have reached at least 16 years of age at the time of nomination for the Award.
3. The recipient shall have demonstrated at least three years of experience in self-advocacy at the time of nomination for the Award.
4. The Award shall recognize a person who has a record of having demonstrated leadership in self-advocacy, preferably including cross-disability advocacy.
5. The Award shall recognize a person who has a record of having stated a vision for the future of the self-advocacy movement in Alabama.
6. Nominations for receipt of the Award shall be made in writing, and shall close not later than May 7, 2018.
7. Selection of the Award’s recipient shall be made by a committee of not more than five persons including the ADAP Director, who shall serve as chair.
The other members of the selection committee are:
a. President, People First
b. President, Wings Across Alabama
c. Amy Hinton (Advocate)
d. Vicki Turnage (Advocate)
8. Selection of the Award’s recipient shall be agreed by consensus.
9. If any of the persons identified to participate on the selection committee cannot serve, then that person’s logical successor shall serve in his/her place.